Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Cheap clothing???

I've been spending a fair amount of money on clothes lately...now, in fairness, this was a necessity - having lost 85 pounds over the past 3 years. I'm now within a mere 5 pounds of my ultimate goal, so I thought it was time to buy a wardrobe that actually fits me...this includes outer clothing...and inner clothing. It's just not attractive when your bra has folds in it that show under a form-fitting dress or T-shirt. Yes, I'm a little vain!

Then, a couple of days ago, I read an article in the Globe and Mail regarding the high cost of cheap clothing - a brilliant article, really... http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/the-high-cost-of-cheap-fashion/article1627251/

Considering my penchant for fairness and equality, I felt a bit contrite after reading this. Since I don't shop at high end stores - not that that would make a significant difference in terms of inequality or world economics - I'm now thinking about the women in the Global South who make mere pennies sewing the clothes that I've been buying. It's a dilemma for me - should I be shopping at second-hand stores? Should I save my money to buy clothing made in Canada? What clothing is even MADE in Canada these days? Maybe I should make all my clothing???

I obviously have my work cut out for me in researching this conundrum. Meanwhile - I'm going to try to not feel too guilty about the fact that I wear clothes...after all, my daugher just commented yesterday that it wasn't fair that my wardrobe was much better than hers now!

No comments:

Post a Comment