Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Facing My Inner Dragons

I was born in 1952 - the Year of the Dragon. Generally speaking, I love dragons...they are mythical, beautiful creatures of awesome power. As the sentiment reads on one of my favourite cards, describing the attributes of the dragon:

Fearless and decisive, it moves with bold, confident steps.
Its image stirs the imagination
and leaves us humbled and in awe
until we accept the wisdom that it dwells within each of us.
It is the part of the human spirit that never falters, never fails.

It is this very power - the lure of consumer goods, the ease of pulling out that credit card when there is no cash readily available, being fearless and decisive about spending money that I don't actually have - that has me in the predicament I'm in today. I'm now searching for a different sort of power - more benign, full of wisdom, hope, and confidence in my ability to make good financial decisions. I know that the postive aspects of the dragon DO live within me, and that I can be fearless and decisive without drowning in debt!

Thus I begin this year of blogging about debt, consumerism, and my own personal journey to halt the descent into credit card slavery, and to nurture the dragon of imagination, creativity and decisiveness. Please bear with me in my journey, comment as you like, and read along as I explore my own personal options while also voicing my opinions and sharing some research into our consumer culture, and the impacts that we have on one another - not only here in Canada, but around the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment